Sunday, September 13, 2015

Chinese Warlords: Brigade Games Big Sword Soldiers

Today I managed to slap some paint on a few of the Brigade Games figures that came in Friday.  These are Big Sword troops that I'm adding to my Copplestone Dare to Die unit.  As I mentioned in the last post, the Brigade figures are a bit shorter so I've padded up each base with a washer to help compensate.  As these represent the Ma troops after they became the German trained 36th Division of the National Revolutionary Army, I've moved away from the blue-grey uniform to to a green-grey color (German Fieldgrey is the base).  The Kuomintang sun has been added to the helmets using decals from Brigade.  They are a bit big with a lighter blue background than I would like, but still are better than anything I could hand paint.



Here they are mixed in with a few of my Brigade figures:
Even with the padded bases they still look a bit small compared to the other figures. However, as long as your looking from above I think they will blend in ok.

7 comments:

  1. They look good to me. Nice work! I've never really been bothered by my troops having different heights when mixing minis from different manufacturers. Now the chunky vs. skinny does though. I think the Brigade Games and Cobblestone figs look good together in your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest everyone is a different size and height. Why must all your figure be the same proportions?
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. I didn't realize Brigade Games had these Chinese. Even with all of Copplestone's figures, its nice to have more variety like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think the difference in size is that noticeable...they do look splendid either way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks All. I have to agree, I think they blend in better after the painting and basing. When I first had them in the bare metal I was really worried that the mixed unit was going to look ridiculous. While I have no issues with some height variation in my figures, 4mm at this scale is a bit more than I like in a single unit. But I think the padding closed up the gap just enough that the height difference looks a bit more natural.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great painting on these! I think they blend in rather nicely.

    ReplyDelete